22.1 C
New York
Friday, September 17, 2021

Taliban, Afghan forces fight: Thousands of families displaced from Kandahar

Fighting between the Taliban and Afghan security forces within the Taliban’s traditional stronghold of Kandahar has displaced thousands of families.

Dost Mohammad Daryab, head of the provincial refugee department, said quite 22,000 Afghan families living in Kandahar had fled their homes within the past month, consistent with AFP.
Dost Mohammad Daryab said that a lot of families have migrated from unstable districts to safer areas.

Fighting between the Taliban and Afghan security forces continued around Kandahar City on Sunday.

Image by unplash

“Due to the negligence of the safety forces, especially the police, the Taliban have managed to urge so on the brink of the town ,” Lalai Dastgir, deputy governor of Kandahar province, told AFP.

“Efforts are being made to arrange the Afghan security forces,” he said.
Local authorities have found out four camps for about 154,000 displaced people.
Hafiz Mohammad Akbar, a Kandahar resident, said the Taliban had taken control of the house from behind after the evacuation.

“The Taliban have forced us to go away . i’m now living with 20 members of my family during a compound where there’s no toilet,” Akbar said.
22,000 families have relocated from Kandahar city.

Residents of Kandahar have expressed fears that fighting could escalate within the coming days.

Khan Mohammad, a refugee from Kandahar, said, “If they actually need to fight, they ought to go and fight within the desert, not destroy the town .”

Taliban Russia

Khan Mohammad said that albeit they won, they might not rule over the empty city.
Kandahar is that the second largest city after Kabul with a population of 650,000.
During the Taliban’s rule from 1996 to 2001, the southern province of Kandahar was a crucial center of state .

It should be noted that since the withdrawal of foreign forces in early May, the Taliban have begun to occupy most of the country rapidly. The Taliban have managed to seize most of Afghanistan’s districts and border crossings, while encircling several provincial capitals.

On the opposite hand, the international human rights organization Human Rights Watch has said that there are reports of atrocities against civilians after the Taliban took control of Spin Boldak and other cities.
Last week, the Taliban seized the Spin Boldak district of Kandahar.

Patricia Grossman, Human Rights Watch’s Asia director, says Taliban leaders have denied responsibility for the mistreatment of civilians, although there are reports of illegal arrests, killings and made evictions in Taliban-controlled areas. Growing evidence is spreading panic among citizens.

In addition, Afghan security forces have arrested four Taliban fighters involved in rocket attacks on the presidential palace on the eve of Eid, while ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack.

‘Air strikes against Taliban will continue to help Afghan troops’

Image by David Mark from Pixabay

A senior US military official says the us will continue air strikes to assist Afghan forces fight the Taliban.

The us has stepped up airstrikes in support of Afghan forces over the past several days, General Kenneth Mackenzie told reporters in Kabul on Sunday, consistent with the French press agency AFP.

“If the Taliban continue their attacks, we are able to provide full support to the Afghan army within the coming weeks,” he said.
On Thursday, the us confirmed airstrikes in support of Afghan forces against the Taliban.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said during a statement that “there are several airstrikes over the past few days.”

The Taliban launched attacks in Afghanistan in May after the announcement of the withdrawal folks troops.
The Afghan Taliban have seized several districts and border crossings while besieging several provincial capitals.

Gen. Kenneth Mackenzie acknowledged that the approaching days would be difficult for the Afghan government, but said the Taliban were nowhere near victory.
Gen. Kenneth Mackenzie’s statement comes as fighting between the Taliban and Afghan security forces within the Taliban’s traditional stronghold of Kandahar has displaced thousands of families.

“Due to the negligence of the safety forces, especially the police, the Taliban have managed to urge so on the brink of the town ,” Lalai Dastgir, deputy governor of Kandahar province, told AFP.
“Efforts are being made to arrange the Afghan security forces,” he said.

Muslims womwen afghanistan

Local authorities have found out four camps for about 154,000 displaced people.

The Afghan people fear that the fighting will intensify within the coming days

Afghan forces must first weaken Taliban: US Secretary of Defense

US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has said that the primary task of Afghan security forces before withdrawing their territory is to weaken the Taliban, while the Taliban has promised to permit an investigation into “human rights violations” in Spin Boldak. what’s it.
According to Reuters, the Afghan army is reviewing its strategy to fight the Taliban and is that specialize in deploying troops to other cities, borders and key installations, including Kabul, where the threat is high.

Austin told reporters in Alaska on Saturday that “they are deploying their forces in additional populated areas.” i feel the primary thing to try to to is to form sure they’re reduced. “
“I think the Afghans have the capacity and therefore the ability to form progress, but we’ll see what happens,” Austin said.

According to Arab News, the Taliban have promised to permit a world investigation into human rights abuses within the Spin Boldak district of southern Afghanistan’s Kandahar Province.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told Arab News: “Anyone who wants to travel to the world to research can go. Any organization, be it the Red Cross or the United Nations or human rights organizations, can investigate. we’ll facilitate their visit.
The report said that “retaliation against the govt and security forces could lead on to more such atrocities.”

Taliban

The Taliban statement came after a report by the United Nations human rights body said that the Taliban had detained many residents in Kandahar’s Spin Boldak district on charges of getting links with the govt . Has taken and killed some prisoners.

The report said that “further retaliation against the govt and security forces could lead on to more such atrocities.”

According to local media, the Taliban began checking out residents who had contacts with the provincial government and security forces then detained quite 300 people and transferred them to an unknown location.

On Saturday, Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission said it had received reports of killings and arrests within the area.
“These are allegations, we’ll investigate and present the results,” Human Rights Commission spokesman Zabihullah Farhang told Arab News.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

17,632FansLike
34,654FollowersFollow
45,823FollowersFollow
1,955SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles