22.1 C
New York
Friday, September 17, 2021

US Secretary of Defense: The United States is safer now than it was a year ago

US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin says the us is safer now than it had been 20 years ago. “The United States’ defense and offensive capabilities have evolved and increased,” he said in an interview with VOA on the anniversary of the 9/11 , 2001 terrorist attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people.

Asked by VOA if it might are better if the us had temporarily delayed the withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan or had begun the evacuation process sooner instead of later supported changing information, Mr Austin said:

The us Department of Defense and other agencies involved will investigate these questions within the future, and that i won’t provide an assessment until their assessment has been completed. “

Mr Austin said the us would still monitor threats from Afghanistan, but that this is able to not be an obstacle to that specialize in China, which may be a potential threat to the us . He added that the Pentagon would monitor areas like Somalia where governance is weak and where international terrorists operate.

The 9/11 attacks on the us were administered by the al-Qaeda network operating in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan. The us and its allies invaded Afghanistan in response to those attacks and overthrew the Taliban regime, but now, 20 years later, all American and other foreign troops have withdrawn from Afghanistan and therefore the Taliban have regained control of the country.

Related Articles

Stay Connected

17,632FansLike
34,654FollowersFollow
45,823FollowersFollow
1,955SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles